Sunday, November 16, 2008

Oops

I meant to write when we got home from the Bates fall dance show last night, but then it was morning before I remembered it again. I'll write twice today.

Yesterday was largely characterized by our visit to our friend Andrew's place, where he did the sound mixing (I think that's what it's called) we needed done for the piece we're performing next weekend. Trips to Andrew are always that - trips. It's always profoundly clear after a visit to Andrew that the "reality" in which I live day to day is a ridiculously small sliver of what's going on in the world. Not to mention what a narrow world view is represented in the course of my days. On this particular visit, there was a small crowd of other musicians around, who were intensely curious about what it's like to be serious about dance in a community like Portland where there isn't much of it. It always feels like we're supposed to think about art as a luxury, and I know I do, but being around these guys who live according to it rather than alongside it was refreshing and... alarming, actually. I feel a little more awake.

More soon.

No comments: