Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ten/slight copout

I'm under some pressure here because we're headed out of town to a place where there are no computers. Well, OK, that's not really true. There's a computer, and it even has internet access, but it's DIAL up. So forget that.

As though I'm not feeling enough pressure already to come up with something good to write about, I've just visited Jonathan's collection of brief online essays, the description of which, as I understand it, takes a bit of a shot at postings on mundane topics. Fair enough. I was pretty sure I was at risk for such postings, and his commentary (with graph) on the world oil situation didn't help.

Then I realized that there's actually plenty to say about my trip to the grocery store this morning, as I spent most of it thinking about what it's going to be like when all we have left is the Whole Foods, which is imminent. (I tried to find out when our Wild Oats is closing, but look what happens when you try to visit wildoats.com.)

And then I realized that I don't have time to get into it, so instead I'm suggesting that you take a look at the nonblog of Jonathan, one of the smartest and funniest people I know, which has absolutely nothing to do with grocery stores, but offers lots of carefully considered and humourously expressed food for thought.

1 comment:

Jonathan B. said...

Thanks for linking, Mere. That will get my ass moving and actually writing more. Also, I shouldn't have made a snarky comment in my "about page" about mundane blog posts. It was more insecurity as a writer and lack of imagination on my part. Some people can write about the walk to the kitchen and make more out of it than some people (myself, I fear) writing about global financial collapse. I suppose it's the hallmark of bad writers that they think they always have to write about big things. Another lesson learned by "blogging." (God I hate that word. I'll never apologize for that!)