Monday, November 5, 2007

Five

I was going to write about my favorite thing that happened today, but I can't think of a favorite happening. The highlight was definitely talking to Michele in the early evening, when we both were relaxed enough to just plain chat for a few minutes. A rare treat.

It's 9:40, but feels like much later, and I don't think it's just the time change. I was thinking on the way home from my office about how after someone important has passed away, and whatever ceremony will happen has happened, you have to get used to how the world is a little quieter all the time. I didn't even talk to Gram, probably didn't even think about her that much, as recently as a month ago, but now knowing that she's not there - waiting for a letter from one of us, making her way quickly and quietly through piles of large print books, and scolding my grandfather for saying things that don't make sense - makes it seem as though someone turned the volume down on the world.

No comments: