Friday, November 2, 2007

Day Three early

I can't promise I'll be able to get at a computer tomorrow, so I'm double posting today. I've still got noveling to do, so I'm a bit behind, but here's my favorite thing that's happened so far today:

My dad and brother, on their way through to Connecticut themselves, called at nine to ask if I was going to be at my office and if so, if they could come by. They had an hour to kill and my brother hadn't seen the place yet. I wasn't. Going to be. And I had just finished overscheduling the day. But I said yes. There was a time not too long ago when I wouldn't have. Life will go on if I don't get the whole list done today.

We were only there for 15 or 20 minutes in which the two men of my immediate family took turns telling me this and that I should do with the office furniture and fixtures, asking about the house I was tempted to buy the other day, telling me again I should really buy something that's an investment rather than a dream house, met the folks who work downstairs, and went on their way.

I'm way behind, now. I'll be scrambling at 6 to get showered and packed and finish the writing I promised to do today. And I'll probably think it's because I spent an hour with my dad and brother. But it won't have been. The scrambling, I know by now, is more of a design feature than a function of actual time. And even if it were, they don't come to town that often, so, what the heck.

No comments: